Friday, April 17, 2009

Etch-A-Sketch

I was sitting in the library with a girlfriend while our children were in story time and we were chatting, gabbing, talking, enjoying adult conversation (whatever you want to call it) when she said something that brought back, what must have been, a bad memory. She shook her head from side to side and said, "Etch-a-Sketch". When I looked at her funny, she explained that she was trying to remove the memory from her brain the same way you remove a drawing from an etch-a-sketch...by shaking it. I love it!!

I firmly believe that even though you may not be able to control what thoughts cross your mind there is a way to filter those thoughts and only dwell on the ones that are positive and Godly.

Lately in our house we have had lots of negative thoughts that have translated into negative behaviors. So, I have pulled out the etch-a-sketch theory and tried to use it with my children. The other day one of my girls looked at me and said, "I can't do it. It's too hard" I looked at her and said, "Etch-a-Sketch". She giggled and hid her face behind her hand. I told her I was serious that we were going to wait and not do anything until she shook that thought right out of her head. She went through the motions of shaking her head but I wonder if she really was able to put that thought out of her head....I hope if she didn't do it that day that she will learn how to someday.

They just don't understand how damaging thoughts like that can be. I want them to try, even if it is hard and to realize that they can do hard things. I want them to be realistic in their thinking and know their strengths and weaknesses. But I don't want them beating themselves up over their weakness.....after all when we are weak; He is strong!!

I love the "whatever" verse in Philippians....whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, what ever is pure, what ever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things!

So, thank you to my "Dear" friend who taught me the Etch-a Sketch theory....we are trying to put it into practice. Shake out the negative thoughts and dwell on the "whatever" things!!

1 comment: