Monday, April 13, 2009

The Abundance of the Heart

"...the Lord does not see as man sees;
for a man looks at the outward appearance,
but the Lord looks at the heart." 1Sam. 16:7b


"...out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." Matt. 12:34b


No one but God can see into our hearts and know if it is filed with love or hate; wisdom or foolishness; pride or humility. But other people can get a glimpse into our heart by seeing what comes out of our mouth and by watching our attitudes and actions.


Think of it as a pitcher. If the pitcher is full or milk, what will pour out of the spout? If it is full of water, what will pour out? If it is full of gasoline, what would you expect to come out of the spout? If it is full of poison, would you expect water to pour out? That makes perfect sense to us....right? Well, if our heart is full of love, what will come out of our mouth? If our heart is full of hate, what will come out? Or if our heart is full of foolishness, what then?


To change what comes out of our mouths what has to change first? Our HEART! How does that happen? God! We pray to a God that hears and answers our prayers. We also need to get into God's word and let the living, active word of God that is able to judge thoughts and intentions of the heart change us.


I originally wrote this to one of our RADlets to get him to think about how he could change. Tonight when I re-read it, I realized that I'm the one that needs to change my heart. Too many times as I am raising these special children, I look at what comes out of their mouths and try to change them myself. I tent to focus on their attitudes and their problems and their mistakes. But recently I have been reminded of my own bad attitudes and short comings. I need a change of heart, maybe more than the children right now.


Father God,
Please, help me to change my heart.
I want it to be full of love for You and for my family.
Thank you for giving me these children to take care of.
They are each so special to me and to You.
Help me to love them and not let their special needs get in the way.
Help me to get into Your Word more....to hide it in my heart...
where is will overflow out of my mouth!
I love You Father!!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment