Thursday, May 28, 2009

You Reap What You Sow

My oldest is now finding that this verse is true. He's heard it all his life but it is just now becoming real to him. When he lived at home we would tell him that he would someday regret the way he was speaking to and treating his siblings. "Someday" came this past Monday.



He came to the house and for the first time in several weeks we had all eight kids under the same roof. (What a blessing!:)

We celebrated this momentous occasion by taking the all the kids to McDonald's. While sitting in the play area watching the little ones play, the teens began to "rag" on the oldest. I tried my best to mediate but to no avail.

Later, right before my son was leaving to go back to his house, he and I were talking about the attitude of his younger siblings. I was trying to help him to understand how they feel and let him know that I would continue to talk to the teen girls about this. He looked me in the eye and said, "I know I am just reaping what I've sown."

It's moments like those that make me feel good about the job I've done as a parent. They let me know that he is maturing and that he has learned something from his dad and me. I am proud of the man he is becoming. I know many adults that have a hard time admitting things like that about themselves.

The key for him now is to begin to sow good seed. It's not too late. My children can, and I feel very sure that they will, become close friends as they all grow and mature. I can't wait to see that happen and to watch how they relate to one another as adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment