Friday, May 22, 2009

83%

83% is not a bad score. I would be OK with that if I got it on a test. In our home school we say that if you can get an 80% on a test you have learned the material......so 83% would show competence.

5 out of 6 sounds pretty good as well. We see adds on TV telling us that 5 out of 6 dentists think this toothpaste is the best. If we win 5 out of 6 games in a season of soccer we feel pretty good about it. After all, it's only one loss and no body's perfect....right?!

Sunday morning in Sunday School class we began talking about dysfunctional families and how hard it is to break the cycle. It was suggested that since I have had success in breaking the cycle in 5 out of 6 of my adopted children I should feel pretty good. I don't. What about the one that can't or won't break the cycle.

It reminds me of the something Jesus said about sheep...
"Suppose you had a hundred sheep and lost one. Wouldn't you leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the lost one until you found it?" (from Luke 15; The Message)

I know how the shepherd feels. I am so happy that my bio children are healthy emotionally. I am ecstatic that my six adopted children have healed (or are working on it). But at the same time, I grieve my one child that is not healing and seems to have no desire to heal.

I want so badly to help him, even to do it for him but that's not the way it works. He has to want to get well. So, I wait and pray and pray and wait some more....maybe someday like the shepherd I will have reason to celebrate.

1 comment: