Saturday, May 2, 2009

Prayer Meeting

Not too long ago I blogged about how difficult it is for me to open up to others in a group setting because most people don't know how to react to what I have to share. They give me the "deer in the headlight look" and do the "push back".

But last week, I found support from a group of moms that was very unexpected....but awesome!!

It was a Mom's night out....coffee at a friend's house. I wasn't extremely excited about it but I knew I was expected to be there...so I went. I'm sooo glad I did!

I was feeling a little down and not very open at all. Guess I was having a bit of a "pity party", but once I got there, had a cup of coffee and began to laugh with the ladies, I felt better.

I sat around the table with four other ladies (and one sweet little baby:) drinking coffee and eating cookies. One moment we were laughing 'til tears were rolling down our cheeks and the next, the conversation turned serious. Everyone was giving their opinions about the economy and way the nation seems to be going downhill, even sharing how God is using them to change things.

Well, at that point I began to open up and share. Instead of being stared at, one of the ladies looked me in the eye and said, "How would you like people to react to you when they hear about your family?" I began to cry. No one has ever, EVER asked me that! I wasn't at all sure what to say. I took a minute to think about it. In the end I just said that we needed prayer and acceptance. Maybe not in those words but that's what it boils down to.

I don't want to feel like an outcast. I don't want to feel like people are talking about our family in whispers when we pass. I don't want people to feel like they can't ask me how things are going. And I don't want to see that disapproving look in the eyes of someone who has just found out about our struggles.

Before I was even able to stop crying, someone suggested that we pray right then and right there. And let me tell you these ladies know how to pray!! I haven't been prayed for like that in years (if ever).

I left feeling uplifted and like I had others walking along side me.....even though they admittedly don't know first hand how I feel or what I'm going through. They are just willing to accept me and pray for me. I can't tell you what that means.

3 comments:

  1. Those were my sisters praying for you and I am so glad they did! Love you lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is WOW!!! What a wise person to ask that question - I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad things turned out like they did! Our God is so Awesome and all knowing! He knew exactly who needed to be there.

    ReplyDelete