Thursday, May 14, 2009

Just Do It

A liquor store near our house has a sign out front that changes on a regular basis. It has funny quips and semi wise sayings that we read (then explain) to the children as we drive past. Last week the "Beer Sign" (as the kids call it) had a saying that made me really stop and think. It said......."A terrible thing happened last night......nothing."


Well, I guess this "terrible thing" has been happening to me for the last 10 days. I am struggling emotionally and have been doing ......nothing.

Now, don't call CPS on me. I have done all the necessities----fed the kids, gotten them to the places they needed to be, given them school assignments, graded their school assignments, put them to bed at a decent hour etc.....

But I find myself napping in the afternoons, sitting in front of the TV in the evenings not even really watching, not doing the normal things I enjoy (like blogging). Even wishing the kids soccer game would be canceled or that I could find an excuse to get out of taking them to karate.

Our pastor is preaching a sermon series based on the book "One Month to Live" by Kerry Shook. This week we are reading and talking about leaving a legacy. That is done by living intentionally.........something I haven't been doing lately.

I need to intentionally spend time with the kids playing and reading and talking.....even when I'd rather be napping. I need to make myself interact with friends and colleagues in the evenings not sitting in front of the TV. If the soccer game is cancelled I need to play Wii with the kids to help them not be so upset. I need to do karate with them.....it will be good for my body and my relationship with my daughter.

OK, now I see what I must do,the question is....How do I get motivated?!!!?!!!

Wish I had some great answers on that one but I don't. Maybe Nike had it right when they said.....JUST DO IT!

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! Here I am. I have visited the computer so often that I have to turn it off to make myself be productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you find yourself in a rut. I guess maybe Nike has the right idea...just do it!

    ReplyDelete