Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"Have you any scars or wounds from helping others?"



In our home school we are studying allegories. For those of you who need a reminder....an allegory is a story that has an underlying meaning different than the surface meaning that is told to teach or explain something. "The Chronicles of Narnia" would be a good example of an allegory and I have just finished reading "Pilgrims Progress" to my children....an allegory about a Christian's journey to the Celestial City.

But just today I was reminded of another allegory written by David and Karen Mains. They have written a series of short story allegories and put them into books. Tales of the Kingdom; Tales of the Resistance and Tales of the Restoration. We have them all and I highly recommend them.

In Tales of the Kingdom there is a story called "Two Noisy Knights". These two knights were old and one was farsighted, the other nearsighted and they seemed to bumble through life together. They thought of themselves as Rangers who fought for the Kingdom and had great adventures. But really all they did was give the cheer and sing the song and try to claim the victory with the other Rangers.

One day they literally run into the baker, knock him over and trample his bread because they thought he was an enemy. The baker took this to the Ranger Commander and the old Knights were brought before Him. The Ranger Commander asked "Have you any scars or wounds from helping others?"

What a strange things for Him to ask. Why would helping others give you scars and wounds? I had to think about that for awhile. But have you ever heard anyone say that....Hurting People; Hurt People?!? That is so true. I live with hurting children and I can tell you that they do indeed hurt others, quite often. They will lash out at whom ever happens to be standing closest...which is usually me.

You can't help someone who's hurting
without getting hurt yourself.

These few bold statements may not hit you like they do me. They have just stayed with me and are a comfort to me when dealing with my children. Many times while parenting these kids, I have felt like I was the one abused and used and hated. And that is the truth....I was or am...BUT, you can't help someone who's hurting and not get hurt. These are my battle scars. Through Christ, I am a warrior NOT a victim!!

The story of the Noisy Knights goes on....Ranger Commander tells them that the Kingdom is not noise but power! His power! He lets them know that they can find their own place in the Kingdom but they may not take the place of others.

So, in the end, the two old knights live by the gate and tell the great stories of the adventures of the real Rangers. They give tours to new comers and rides to children. They are very happy and very content with their own place in the Kingdom.

Many different levels of wisdom here in this story but today I need to hear Ranger Commander telling me that I'm not a victim............just scarred and wounded in the battle of helping the hurting!

No comments:

Post a Comment