Friday, March 13, 2009

A Little Glimps of Light

Galatians 6:9 (New International Version)
Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Raising special needs children is not an easy task. There are so many times that I feel that task too daunting. I get overwhelmed. That's when I like to look at this verse.........it encourages me. "Don't give up," God says, "You will be rewarded....but not til the time is right. Not til the time is perfect according to Me which is very different than what you may think."

But I know (and am still learning) that God is good, ALL the time. And sometimes he gives me little glimpses of my reward. A tiny speck of light to show me that there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

Yesterday, He gave me two little specks of light. Two short conversations with two of my children to let me know that my husband and I are doing something right. We are leading them toward Christ and they are growing in their relationship with Him even if it is a rate slower than what we had planned.

While in the car with one of my teens a Jeremy Camp song came on the radio (you gotta love KLOVE:) My daughter asked me to turn it up because this was her favorite song. As I reached for the volume button, I heard her singing in the back......There will be a day with no more tears, no more pain, and no more fears There will be a day when the burdens of this place, will be no more, we'll see Jesus face to face But until that day, we'll hold on to you always.

Then quite spontaneously she said, "Ya know Mom, listening to the song just makes me so anxious."
"What are you anxious about?" I asked still paying more attention to the road than to what she was saying.
"That day, Mom!" she said as only a teen can with the eye roll and everything:)

I smiled in my heart knowing that she too was anxiously waiting to see Jesus. What a good feeling to know that we have that shared goal. I silently thanked God for that little glimmer of light as I finished listening to the duet between Jeremy and my lovely teen.

Later in the evening when my preschooler was getting his pj's on, I was distracted trying to help my husband find the tool he needed to fix a bunk bed so two of my other little ones would have a bed to sleep on. My little guy came to me asking for help with a zipper and said, "I know something, Mom."
To which I replied, my head still in the junk drawer, "I know you do, Buddy, you know a lot of things."
"No, Mom, I mean I know something about God"
Turning my attention to him and zipping his sleeper I said, "Oh, OK. Well, tell me what is it you know about God?"
He looked at me and said without hesitation, "If you go near to God, He will come near to you."

Wow! Out of the mouth of babes. Wonder what made him think of that right then? Wonder if God was trying to tell me something? Wonder if he is still trying to tell me something? Right now is a rare moment in our house....it is quiet! Everyone is asleep but me and here I am on the computer.......hmmmmm......maybe I need to go near to God right now because I do so much better in life when He is near me.

Look closely today and see if God is giving you a glimer of light and be thankful even if it is just a tiny speck. And if you'll excuse me I think there is someone who wants to talk with me......

1 comment:

  1. I too am having one of those rare quiet moments as the Lord has gotten me up 4 hours prior to my original waking time! So blessed by the experienced you shared and had to wonder if that was a Superman sleeper you were zipping up.

    ReplyDelete