Monday, July 20, 2009

You Don't See What I See

It was fall when I was at a friends house and asked to have a picture taken of the two of us. She put up a good fight but in the end I got my picture:) She talked with me later and confessed that she hates to see pictures of herself. But all the flaws that she sees I don't. When I look at that picture I see a wonderful woman who listens to me and understands. Someone who is loving and caring and giving. She just doesn't see what I see.

Well, over the past few weeks, I have tried my hand at drawing. My friend is a talented artist and as I was texting her one day, I mentioned that it would be nice if she lived closer and could give me art lessons. That was my first mistake because she didn't let distance stop her from teaching me art. Now, I am enrolled in the PROMISE school of art!! I sent her a photo of what I want to sketch and she is giving me pointers. I also have to scan and send her samples of my artwork. To be very honest I am sometimes quite embarrassed for her to see my scribbling. But she looks at them and with love tells me what I need to work on. Last week I was telling her how I felt about her seeing my work. She said, "Keep it up because you don't see what I see."

I hate it when my own words are used against me. Well, not so much in this case. I love that she sees something in my pictures. It makes me look a little closer, trying to figure out what it is she does see.

So, here is one of my sketches.....what do you see?

1 comment: