Friday, July 3, 2009

Birthday Surprise

For the past month I have been ready to burst at the seams. I have wanted to write about a fun journey I've been on to surprize my best friend for her birthday. But I was afraid that she would read my blog if I mentioned it here. Now that her birthday surprise is over I can tell you about our special day.

About a month ago, as I was texting Teresa about coming to my house for a visit, I got the idea to drive the two hours to her house, get her in the car and bring her back to my house as a birthday surprise. You see, I've lived in this house for four years now and until yesterday she had not been able to come for a visit (that might have something to do with the fact that she has 10 kids and a husband to care for). So, I contacted one of her young adult sons to help arrange babysitting and made my own childcare arrangements. Then began to plan.

When I walked into the resturant, I saw her sitting with her back to the window, having breakfast with her adult son. Elijah saw me immediately but her view of the door was blocked by a room divider. I told the hostess that I was meeting someone for breakfast then dialed Teresa's number. I saw her pick up her phone and flip it open as I walked toward their table. I tried to keep the excitement from my voice as I asked her what she was doing. Still thinking I was in another state, she explained how Elijah had showed up that morning and offered to take her out to breakfast for her birthday. "So, where are you?" I asked.
"Cracker Barrel"
Smiling I walked closer and asked, "The one in Middletown?"
"Yeah"
Now standing in front of her I said laughingly, "That's funny 'cause that's where I am!"
With that she looked up and saw me. Not knowing what to say she stood to hug me. Then a knowing expression crept over her face and she turned to her son. "Did you know about this?!"
He nodded and explained how I had called him a month before to ask his help with planning and provide babysitting. "Because," I added, "You are leaving with me. We are going to Indiana for the day. I'll make sure you back to your house tonight."
Elijah finished his meal quickly and left us to our special day.

I'm glad to report that Teresa seemed to love the surprise and we had a wonderful day. Best birthday ever was how she described it. Time with good friends is to be cherished.

1 comment:

  1. HOW FUN!!!! Sneaky can be fun can't it! (as long as it is good sneaky!)

    ReplyDelete